Happy Saturday from Sanford Stadium! It’s an early afternoon kickoff for Georgia today at 12:21 against North Texas.
The weather might be talked about more leading up to the game than the actual game itself against the huge underdog Mean Green (Georgia’s favored by 32 ½).
It looks like any rain probably won’t happen until about the fourth quarter.
There’s a 30 percent chance rain around 3 p.m., according to weather.com. That increases to 70 percent by 4 p.m. with thunderstorms possible. Some of the lights are already on at Sanford Stadium.
After playing a No. 8 Clemson team and a No. 6 South Carolina team to start the season, the Bulldogs get North Texas, which is 1-43 all-time against ranked teams.
“It’s hard coming in and playing top 10 teams already,” freshman safety Tray Matthews said. “It was kind of crazy.”
Georgia’s had two weeks between games since that win over South Carolina.
“The first two games were big games, a lot of guys were beat up, so it was good to get everybody rested up,” safety Connor Norman said.
The only player (not counting guys lost for the season) known to be out today is receiver Jonathon Rumph (hamstring).
“Right now we’re pretty much at full strength,” quarterback Aaron Murray said. “We’re feeling good, physically, mentally. We’re very rested and I think ready to go.”
Some notes prior to kickoff:
–Former Georgia All-American lineman Pat Dye (the former Auburn coach) will be recognized today for his selection to the school’s Ring of Honor.
Georgia asked Pro Football Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, a teammate of Dye, to attend today.
“It’s the first time those two gentlemen will be on the field at the same at Sanford Stadium since 1960,” athletic director Greg McGarity said.
–Football games are big for recruiting in other sports. New baseball coach Scott Stricklin said he would have at least six recruits at the game and about 20 next weekend for LSU. “We’re certainly off to a great start,” Stricklin said of recruiting.
–The Bulldogs have had 11 first-time starters so far this season through two games: Quayvon Hicks, Leonard Floyd, Brendan Langley, Tray Matthews, Sterling Bailey, Josh Dawson, Ramik Wilson, Kolton Houston, Justin Scott-Wesley, Ray Drew and Josh Harvey-Clemons.
–North Texas coach Dan McCarney on the challenge of going up against Georgia: “You don’t see many midgets playing at Georgia. You just don’t see many. They’ve all got size and they’re one of the fastest teams in college football.”
–Looks like tight end Jay Rome (ankle) is indeed dressed out today. Georgia tweeted out a photo of some players boarding the bus for the Dawg Walk.
–Not much else newsy out of the Dawg Walk. Receiver Jonathon Rumph (hamstring) as expected is not playing. Cornerback Kennar Johnson also is not dressed out. Virtually the entire team is listed on the dress out squad today since it’s a nonconference game.
–Looked this up and never used it so here you go. North Texas alums: Pat Boone, Norah Jones, Don Henley, Roy Orbison, actor Thomas Haden Church, TV journalists Bill Moyers, author Larry McMurtry and TV’s Dr. Phil McGraw.
–Don’t think Georgia usually allows pro agents on the sideline, but Pat Dye Jr. is here for the recognition of his father Pat Dye into the Ring of Honor. I saw basketball coach Mark Fox greeting Fran Tarkenton on the sideline pregame as well.
–And there was light rain falling when I was down on the field. Forecast still calling for 60 percent thunderstorms at 4 p.m.
– Offensive tackle Kenarious Gates probably wouldn’t have played last weekend if there was a game, coach Mark Richt said. He had knee and ankle injuries against South Carolina.
Mark Beard filled in for Gates in the second half
“Our plan is to try to roll some of those guys,” offensive coordinator Mike Bobo said. “We’d like to roll those guys from here on out and keep everybody fresh.”
–Please follow me at Twitter.com/marcweiszer